Special Education

The Individual with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) of 2004 ensures that all eligible children with a disability who are in need of special education receive a free appropriate public education. IDEA mandates that eligible students receive individualized instruction specially designed to meet the unique needs of the learner.

To the maximum extent appropriate, children with disabilities, including children in public or other educational facilities, are to be educated with children who are not disabled. In addition, to the maximum extent appropriate, children with disabilities are to participate with non-disabled peers in both non-academic and extracurricular activities. Unless the individualized education program for the child with disabilities requires some other arrangement, the child is to be educated in the school that they would attend if they were not disabled. Special classes, separate schools or removal of children requiring special education from the regular educational environment shall occur only when the needs of a child are such that education in the regular classes cannot be accomplished satisfactorily.

About 90% of students with disabilities are served by special education services in the school to which they are assigned by the Office of Student Assignment. These are known as base programs. Wake County also has service delivery/program options for children whose IEP requires more specialized service. About 10% of students require these regional programs.

What do I do if I think my child might need specially designed instruction?

At Exploris, we provide special education and related services according to the federal mandates of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and the regulations of the North Carolina Public School Law, Article 9.

If you would like to request that your child be evaluated for special education services or if you have questions regarding your child’s IEP and services please contact your child’s teacher of record or our EC Coordinator, Ethan Burton (eburton@exploris.org). 

START HERE: Child Find | If you have concerns about your child's academic or social-emotional progress, please reference the following document. Document (English and Spanish): Project Child Find

    Special Education Process

    What are my rights as a parent under IDEA?


    Members include: